OCTOBER IS PASTOR APPRECIATION MONTH- Pray for Pastors and First Ladies too ( they need it also)
The preacher must pray; the preacher must be prayed for … Air is not more necessary to the lungs than prayer for and to the preacher.”
October is Pastor Appreciation Month- Pray for Your Pastor and your favorite Pastors .Pray and show appreciation and Pray for First Ladies…..they need it!
Celebrate the work of the men and women who serve as leaders of the flock. One act believers should do is pray for their pastor and all pastors and all those who are spiritual leaders over the fivefold ministry. Pastors and other spiritual leaders need our prayers. It is a biblical principle to pray for pastors and others in spiritual authority over us. ( 1 Timothy 2:1-2) Paul asked the church to pray for Him. (1 Thess 5:25, Col. 4:3) Our prayers for the spiritual leaders enable them to perform the ministry God has called them to serve. I challenge you to write a prayer for your Pastor and send it to him or just pray.
Challenge: Name your Pastor or your favorite pastors and pray for them Write a short prayer.
Here is a short one:
Thank the Lord that His eyes are on Pastor__________ and that His ears are attentive to Pastor’s prayers and that His face is against those who plot evil against Pastor (1 Peter 3:12). Thank God that all things work for Pastor’s good because he/she loves the Lord, that God is for him, and that through Jesus Christ Pastor is more than a conqueror (Romans 8:28,
31, 37). Pray that the Lord would apply that truth to him today( by Terry Teykl)
Pray the above prayer for your prayer.
There is no greater gift you can give your pastor(She or He) and the spiritual leaders of your church than to pray for them. Pastors cannot win the battle alone; they need committed intercessors to lift them up in fervent, specific prayer. Imagine how the power of God might be released in our churches if we were to pray faithfully for our pastors.
Pastors are human—they face the same challenges that their people do, with some additional ones! They grow tired in ministry, are tempted to sin, and may find it difficult to balance their many roles and responsibilities. They need the encouragement and support of those they lead. Yet, they are held to a high level of accountability. They should be held to a high standard of accountability.
Without the prayer support pastors are more vulnerable to the wiles of the devil. It is for our own benefit to pray that God will make your pastor a great leader and teacher (See 1 Tim 2:1-4)
One of the most effective ways you can minister to your pastor is to pray for his personal and spiritual needs.
Jonathan Graf a prayer warrior , author ,speaker and teacher on prayer states why pastors are a special target of the enemy. In Pray Magazine July/August 2004 Graf stated:
- A pastor is more accountable to God than the average parishioner. James said that not many should desire to be teachers because they will come under greater judgment (Jas. 3:1). The accuser would like nothing more than to defeat the pastor/teacher and rub his or her nose in it.
- As the pastor’s spiritual life goes, so goes the congregation. If Satan can keep a pastor defeated and prayerless, most believers in his or her church will not grow spiritually. The prayer level of a church seldom rises above that of the pastor.
- When a pastor falls, more damage usually is done to the church than when anyone else in the church falls. People look to the pastor as their spiritual leader. Less mature believers are often very confused when someone they look up to spiritually lets them down. They may even fall away from the Lord in the confusion and hurt.
- The pastor is the most visible member of a church, so more damage is done to the ministry’s reputation in the community when he or she fails. It may affect the ministry of the church for a significant length of time. When scandal hits a church, nonbelievers tend to think there is no power in that religion.
Praying For Your Pastor is very important. They are serving God and the attacks of the enemy are non -ceasing. They must be covered in prayer on a daily basis. Here are a couple of suggestions to encourage your Pastor.
- Put a picture of your pastor(s) in your church prayer room to remind people to pray.
2. Distribute copies of your pastor’s preaching text to adult Sunday school classes so they can pray for the Word to go forth with power and authority before he preaches.
3. Ask church members to write prayers based on Scriptures and mail them to the pastor as an encouragement.
4. Write a short prayer to your Pastor or leaders of the five fold ministry .Ephesians 4:11-16
- Send him/her an encouraging note. Let him/her know how you appreciated a sermon, actions etc.
The Prayer Leader, Linda Fegins